- Surveying and monitoring of the site for protected and notable species so as to minimise impacts, and target enhancement efforts;
- Maintenance and enhancement of habitat connectivity within the site (hedgerows, scrub and woodland);
- Creation, maintenance and enhancement of the broadleaved woodland;
- Maintenance of the ecological value of the stream as an ecological corridor;
- Maintenance of ponds and management to maximise their ecological value; and
- Management of grassland to enhance biodiversity value.
Newick Rootz is a volunteer group actively engaged in maintaining and improving the 8½ miles of footpaths and bridleways in Newick Parish; we also look at tree planting for posterity and we monitor the ecology of some areas with regular surveys.
Working under the guidance of East Sussex County Council and supported by Newick Parish Council, we repair and replace stiles and kissing gates, clear vegetation, erect fingerposts and install way-marking signs; and we enjoy ourselves whilst doing it! We also work with Lewes District Council on Newick Common and now Reedens Meadows. Work parties take place throughout the year. It’s a fun team to work with and members freely give their time and energies as and when they can.
For more information:
Or visit: www.newickrootz.org.uk